by Mick Brown
It is no secret that the best meals start with fresh, quality ingredients. In this new blog, we are talking about some of the hard-to-find places where you can send a Caterer for the best quality Meats in the Los Angeles area. Sad to report that the Fish Tanks have been removed at California Market, 4317 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles, CA., 90004 (http://www.yelp.com/biz/california-market-los-angeles). I had driven past this place for years, with no idea of what they had inside. From Beverly Boulevard it may look like an abandoned grocery mart. The entrance is actually on the other side, facing away from the street. Once you enter their bustling parking lot, you know there is plenty of shopping happening here. I’ll pay homage to what was, while at the same time asking the title question. If anyone knows of somewhere else where fresh (edible) fish is sold from the tank, please leave a comment. [A full list of my picks, with Links, appears at the bottom.]
One of my best bargains ever was two live whole lobsters from California Market for the grand total of less than $16.00. Took them home and boiled them in a pot of BBQ Rub seasoned water. Then Grilled them and served with Seasoned Garlic and Herb Butter. Delicious.
California Market also had fresh Abalone and tanks of live Halibut for $16.99 per Pound. They would help you pick the right one for your desired weight. Then the Butcher would perform “the deed” and send you home with flawless filets. Why go on and on about what used to be available? Because I want to find anyone who knows of a similar place that still exists.
The good news is that you can still find great deals on Fresh Frozen Fish at California Market. You can also ask the Butchers for the fresh Catch of the Day and they will point you to it. If you want prepared food, the Noodle House at the store entrance sells some amazing sweet or spicy Fresh Noodle Bowls you can eat there or take-out. On Yelp, some of the reviews are misleading. Like the one that says they don’t have Kimchi. California Market makes it fresh every day and has a whole aisle full of selections. My day job is to run a Los Angeles catering biz, which has recently expanded into manufacturing a new line of BBQ Rubs. Hope you don’t mind if I leave a couple of links below. Eat and Be Well.
5 Most Hidden Places for Fresh Meat in Los Angeles
1. California Market- 4317 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90004 http://www.yelp.com/biz/california-market-los-angeles . The Live Fish Tanks are gone, but ask the Butcher for the Catch of the Day.
2. Marconda’s Meats and Puritan Chickens- Farmer’s Market, 6333 West 3rd St #514. Los Angeles, CA 90036-3183 (323) 938-5131 http://www.marcondas.com/ This butcher has the best Fresh Meats with reasonably priced Sales, as well as premium steaks such as Waygu. They also make their own Marinades, Sausages and Side Dishes.
3. Monsieur Marcel Gourmet Market- Farmer’s Market, 6333 w 3rd St. Los Angeles, CA 90036 http://www.mrmarcel.com/gourmet-markets/ The Deli has fine Cheeses from all over Europe and other parts of the World. You can get premium Meats, including Paris Ham at prices that cost only a bit more per pound than the gelatinous Hams you get blister packed from the Grocery Store.
4. Harvey’s Guss Meat Co.-949 S. Ogden Drive, Los Angeles, CA. 90036 (323) 937-4622 Miracle Mile http://www.harveysgussmeat.com/home.html Talk about hidden. There is no store sign above the back Alley entrance. We are talking top grade Aged Meats here. Hanging on hooks in a Walk-In Refrigerator. Hours are limited.
5. Boccato’s Groceries-3127 Manhattan Ave, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254 Phone:(310) 376-0574 http://www.yelp.com/biz/boccatos-groceries-hermosa-beach The Meat Dept. has everything from Steaks, Chickens, Lamb and more. You can get it plain or pre-marinated in their special seasonings. They have a fully functional kitchen to go along with the Deli. Our favorite find is their Rotisserie Turkey Sandwich.
Mick Brown is a Food Blogger/Purveyor based in Los Angeles, with over 30 years BBQ and Grilling experience. Aside from Catering, his passions are creating Easy Grilling Recipes and searching for the World’s Best Flavors. General Manager of Tastee BQ Grilling Co. and the new California Gold BBQ Rubs. He is also author of web serial blog “The Adventures of Tastee BQ.” Email- Mick@TasteeBQ.com
Tastee BQ Catering Co.- http://www.tasteebq.com
California Gold BBQ Rubs- http://www.californiagoldrub.com/
Available on Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/California-Gold-BBQ-Power–10oz/dp/B00CVCMR88