by Mick Brown
Food is King (or Queen) at the 2014 Gluten Free (GF) Expo in Pasadena. Sponsored by the Celiac Disease Foundation (CDF), the event is fun and well attended. Here is a preview for those who already have Tickets for the Expo today. If you on the fence about going, Jump Off and get down to the Pasadena Convention Center! Of course, all proceeds benefit the foundation’s Outreach, Research and Educational activities. You will get to taste some of the latest and greatest GF food products now available (as opposed to perusing the packaging on the shelves). Event is today Sunday, June 8th, 10:00am to 4:00pm. Tickets are $20 at Door. Link for basic info. http://celiac.org/get-involved/conference-expo/attendee/
My original Indiegogo campaign to get my product HEROIC! to the Pasadena Expo, took a fortuitous turn in San Diego (See Stars of Gluten Free Blog). So my current mission is for Education and to help raise Donations for the CDF. I mentioned the event being “Queen” because I got to meet the “Queens of Gluten Free” at the National Gluten Free Conference on Saturday. There was Pamela Giusto-Sorrels, founder of Pamela’s Products and Rachel Berliner, the co-founder of Amy’s. I also got personal advice on building customers (as a new brand) from Dr. Lucy Gibney, MD of Lucy’s healthy snack brand. Not sure if the “Queens” will be at the Expo again today, but their food will be. Pamela’s expansive booth is in front, a big full kitchen with both savory and sweet treats to sample.
Doors are open now, so I will get to some of my Highlights of the Gluten Free Expo:
– Lucy’s GF, no Dairy Chocolate Chip Cookies. They can be served at any party and non-GF Kids won’t even tell the difference.
– So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk, Chocolate Almond Covered Ice Cream Bar. Same as above. Delicious Ice Cream doesn’t taste like “Diet Food”.
– Mary’s Gone Crackers Super Seed Crackers- Fresh tasting and delicious Superfoods. Would go great with a sprinkle of GF Superfood BBQ Rub. (We’ll have to talk).
–Pamela’s Figgies & Jammies; GF version of classic Fig New-somethings.
-The nice variety of the GF Beers and Wines were refreshing and delicious.
-Who knew Fritos were GF? and Lay’s Potato Chips…?
– BraziBites Cheese Bread Snacks with Bacon. OMG- tastes as good as the deep fried Cheddar Cheese Balls we used to eat in Chicago.
– The Gluten Fighters– a creative new project teaching Kids with Allergies how they can be also be Heroes. Wish them well www.GlutenFighters.com.
Finally, the reason I may be going back- “Gluten Freedom” a new book by Dr. Alessio Fasano, MD. The books weren’t shipped to Pasadena in time for Saturday.
Next time, I will give you more details on the National GF Conference, which was the opening event on Saturday. Until then, Eat and Be Well.
Mick Brown is a Food Blogger/Purveyor based in Los Angeles, with over 30 years BBQ and Grilling experience. Aside from Caterer and Private Grilling Instructor, his passions are creating Easy Grilling Recipes and searching for the World’s Best Flavors. General Manager of Tastee BQ Grilling Co. and the new California Gold BBQ Rubs. He is also author of web serial blog “The Adventures of Tastee BQ.” Email- Mick@TasteeBQ.com