by Mick Brown
It’s no secret that the best meals start with fresh, quality ingredients. For the first run of this new blog, I’d like to talk about places where you can send a Caterer for some of the best quality Meats in the Los Angeles area. With Thanksgiving around the corner, I’d thought I share two of my favorite places where you can order Fresh Turkeys. This series will focus on each Hidden Meats Location in the upcoming weeks. [A full list with Links appears at the bottom.]
1. Marconda’s Meats and Puritan Chickens- Farmer’s Market, 6333 West 3rd St #514 Los Angeles, CA 90036-3183 (323) 938-5131 http://www.marcondas.com/ Located inside the always bustling Original Farmer’s Market. Their selection is so big, that Marconda’s has two locations. I usually get lost going from the Poultry Section to locate their Meat Dept. This butcher has the best Fresh Meats with reasonably priced Sales, as well as premium Steaks such as Waygu. They also make their own Marinades, Sausages and Side Dishes. The Rotisserie Chicken Salad is unbelievably good. They also have great selection of BBQ Rubs and Seasonings.
Marconda’s is talking orders for Willie Bird Turkeys until Nov. 23rd or while supplies last. http://www.williebird.com/
2. Boccato’s Groceries- 3127 Manhattan Ave, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254 Phone:(310) 376-0574 http://www.yelp.com/biz/boccatos-groceries-hermosa-beach Not exactly hidden, this is the only location that actually has their front door visible from the street. But check closely for the address, because there is no store sign bearing the name of the place. Follow your nose. They have a fully functional kitchen to go along with the Deli. We are usually greeted by the smell of cooked Bacon or Rotisserie Chicken. The Meat Dept. has everything from Steaks, Chickens, Lamb and more. You can get it plain or pre-marinated in their special seasonings. Take it home ready for the Pan, Oven or Grill.
Our favorite find is their Rotisserie Turkey Sandwich. Who does that? They do. Actually roasting Turkey Breasts on the Rotisserie, slicing them up and serving it to you on a rustic French Roll. It has to be one of the best Turkey Sandwiches in (or out of) town. A perfect stop on the way to the Beach. The store also has a nice variety of carefully selected BBQ Rubs and Seasonings.
Boccato’s is taking orders for fresh birds from Diestel Turkey Ranch until Monday (11/25), or while supplies last. http://www.diestelturkey.com/diestel-products/the-diestel-family-of-turkeys/
That’s it for now. Hopefully you have discovered a convenient Hidden Place for a last minute Fresh Turkey. My day job is to run a Los Angeles catering biz, which has recently expanded into manufacturing a new line of BBQ Rubs. Hope you don’t mind if I leave a couple of links below. Eat and Be Well.
5 Most Hidden Places for Fresh Meat in Los Angeles
1. California Market- 4317 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90004 http://www.yelp.com/biz/california-market-los-angeles You never know what you will find in their Live Fish Tanks. Yes. We are talking Live Halibut, Lobsters, etc… at really reasonable prices.
2. Marconda’s Meats and Puritan Chickens- Farmer’s Market, 6333 West 3rd St #514. Los Angeles, CA 90036-3183 (323) 938-5131 http://www.marcondas.com/ This butcher has the best Fresh Meats with reasonably priced Sales, as well as premium steaks such as Waygu. They also make their own Marinades, Sausages and Side Dishes
3. Monsieur Marcel Gourmet Market- Farmer’s Market, 6333 w 3rd St. Los Angeles, CA 90036 http://www.mrmarcel.com/gourmet-markets/ The Deli has fine Cheeses from all over Europe and other parts of the World. You can get premium Meats, including Paris Ham at prices that cost only a bit more per pound than the gelatinous Hams you get blister packed from the Grocery Store.
4. Harvey’s Guss Meat Co.-949 S. Ogden Drive, Los Angeles, CA. 90036 (323) 937-4622 Miracle Mile http://www.harveysgussmeat.com/home.html Talk about hidden. There is no store sign above the back Alley entrance. We are talking top grade Aged Meats here. Hanging on hooks in a Walk-In Refrigerator. Hours are limited.
5. Boccato’s Groceries-3127 Manhattan Ave, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254 Phone:(310) 376-0574 http://www.yelp.com/biz/boccatos-groceries-hermosa-beach The Meat Dept. has everything from Steaks, Chickens, Lamb and more. You can get it plain or pre-marinated in their special seasonings. They have a fully functional kitchen to go along with the Deli. Our favorite find is their Rotisserie Turkey Sandwich.
Mick Brown is a Food Blogger/Purveyor based in Los Angeles, with over 30 years BBQ and Grilling experience. Aside from Catering, his passions are creating Easy Grilling Recipes and searching for the World’s Best Flavors. General Manager of Tastee BQ Grilling Co. and the new California Gold BBQ Rubs. He is also author of web serial blog “The Adventures of Tastee BQ.” Email- Mick@TasteeBQ.com
Tastee BQ Catering Co.- http://www.tasteebq.com
California Gold BBQ Rubs- http://www.californiagoldrub.com/
Available on Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/California-Gold-BBQ-Power–10oz/dp/B00CVCMR88